Sunday, November 29, 2009

Attitudes of Gratitude...

Doug's brother Russ and his wife Jenni hosted Thanksgiving at their place. We are getting to place in our lives where we are torn between old traditions and a new season in our lives where we probably need to start new ones. Since we were first married we have alternated between Doug's family and mine for the Thanksgiving holiday. It has always worked out really well for the most part and we have always enjoyed the time we get to spend with family. I always get a kick out of watching the cousins do their cousining, it doesn't matter how long it has been since they have seen each other, they pick right up and play like it was just yesterday. I love it. So this year I was torn between spending Thanksgiving with Doug's family and staying here with our married kids that wouldn't be able to go with us. Doug really wanted to go because a sister who lives far away was going to be there this year. When I realized how much it meant to him to be with his family I decided it would be Ok to go, but still the mother in me has a hard time leaving her little ones no matter how big they are!
Russ and Jen live 3 hours away, we decided to just make it the one day... it was a long one day but nice. It was fun to see every one and to make another great memory.
Thanks again Russ and Jen!

Aunt Jeri's Sweet Potato Casserole
3 cups smashed sweet potatoes
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. butter melted
2 eggs well beaten
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. evaporated milk
mix all ingredients together and place in casserole dish.
Topping-
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
2 Tbs. butter
1/2 c. peacan peices
mix together until crumbly and sprinkle on top of potato mixture. Bake uncovered at 350' for 25-30 minutes or until top is crunchy.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't checked blogs in a long time. I am sad to see our families, families all growing up and getting married. I guess it had to happen sometime. But I understand needing to have your own family time. Just be prepared for Marc and I to invite ourselves to join your little family thanksgiving some years that is what we do to Ruth Ann on the off years. Thanks for the recipe. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete