Friday, September 24, 2010

Luckiest Girl in the World...

Doug and I just recently went with our Amanda and Ellie to see Jordon in Missouri. It was a world wind trip, we were only there for 3 days.
I am not going to lie and say Missouri is on my list of dream vacations... it totally wasn't. But the things we do for our kids...I checked out our timeshare to see if there was a place near Ft. Leonard Wood and turns out there was one about 1 hour a way. So I booked it, purchased the airline tickets and off we went.
First of all, a rental car from the airport was sooo expensive we found a cheaper one about 12 miles on the metro. This turned out great because it took us right to the front door of Busch Stadium at the end of a Cardinals game. That was fun to see and it happens to be right in front of the famous St. Louis arch! We wouldn't have gone there if we didn't have to go there to get our car.
About 3 hours later we are pulling into our condo, it is just dusk and the most amazing view I have ever seen. We are right in the heart of the Lake of the Ozarks, our back deck literally was on the lake, dragonflies were flitting back and forth, geese skimming the water looking for something yummy. The sounds were incredible- the islands were literally alive with noise. I couldn't soak it in. I lay in bed and you could hear the sounds and occasionally see a boat skim by, I didn't want to sleep, I didn't want to miss one moment of it. I got up and went out side and a full moon was reflecting itself off the lake, surrounded by a million stars twinkling off the water. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world... I guess I am.
The next day we are in the car and headed to my Giant's graduation, we are so excited to see him and we are still so dazed by where we are and still amazed at the beauty around us. Suddenly Doug taps on the brakes and we hear " What the crap"! We almost ran over a turtle in the middle of the road. We all just looked at each other and started laughing. That does not happen every day. I felt like I was living inside a great novel, a place that you only read about, and you don't want the story to end.
Jo's graduation was great and we are so proud of him. A lot of times having my boys in the military brings back some not so good memories, still I can't help but be incredibly proud of them. They are learning such good things about themselves and in turn will make them stronger and better men. I always say the goodest things are the hardest things.
We were able to spend an awesome half a day with him. I am so grateful to Amanda for sharing him with us.
While taking Jo back to base, we decided to find him some dinner first. We thought it would be sorta fun to find a local place and try the viddles. So we turned into the next town and it looked like a newer restaurant at the end of town, so we pull in, and right in front of us is a sign advertising the evening special... "FRIED FROG LEGS"! We very discreetly decided on the Dairy Queen down the street!!! We had been listening to them frogs all night..nope couldn't eat one-sheesh!
On the way back to the condo that night, Doug again taps on the brakes, and we hear" What the Heck"! We almost hit a possum! Again... that doesn't happen every day, not in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment